Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
WineOhNo

Location: i live in my own world, but it's okay, they know me here...
Originally Posted by IAmAbstinent View Post
I already made a big plan already . Just repeating to myself that I wouldnt take drugs again as I said I didnt really find effective, I think I also have to get a more social lifestyle as it was my isolatory habits which led me to such activities. I know the talk about your abstinent shoudlnt be contingent on anything which I agree with in theory but I think you still have to deal with the causes to get rid of the desire- which I know trimpey would prob disagree with cos he says you will always desire.

hmm will check top of p12.

Yes this service seems to be about offering counselling and a support worker. Im still in two minds about it due to the dependence part of it maybe being aware of that aspect I would could chose not to get into that, but rather take lessons from others.

I know I definitely have to also focus on making a life for myself as being part of my continued abstinence which I would have to do myself anyhow.

Also I am a 'failure' in avrt terms am I not for breaking the big plan- or its worded as 'reversal of intent'?

Anyway as I said the underlying life issues were still there which are what encouraged me to use imo. So just repeating the mantra and not changing the lifestlye I think would likely lead down the same route- I know it as in the past. So I have to change my lifestyle as my priority I think.
I think that repeating to yourself that you won't take drugs again is very different than actually not wanting to and understanding that it is your addiction that wants to indulge, not you. In any given situation, I've found it fool proof to shift between what my "inner psycho" wants and what "I want". When I look at it this way, it's easy for me to see that yes, my addiction would love a drink - but there's no way that I do. It's not even an option. And even if i have to take a walk or find something to entertain myself until the thought vanishes, that's what i do.

That being said, I don't think that there is anything wrong with trying something else. Everyone is different. If you're not ready to commit to giving up drugs permanently than you are probably better off looking into a program. It certainly can't hurt. We're all different, do whatever you think will work for you.