View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

This is 100 percent correct...

Lala, your daughter is not fine. Her father is an alcoholic drug addict and her mother is somebody who thought it was a good idea to marry and have children with an alcoholic drug addict.

While it's not too late to make the changes you need to make to be a better person and mother, don't think for a second that your daughter is not being profoundly effected by the environment in which she has , and is, growing up.

I say that as somebody with a daughter who grew up in the same environment and is now 16. You have no idea of just how bad this really is, and just how guilty you may feel when she is a 16 year old manifesting the behaviors she is learning from you and your husband.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
It continues to amaze me how many people think that a child living in an alcoholic home will be okay as long as they never "see it." As the child of an alcoholic father, I can assure you that "seeing it," was the least of my problems. In fact, my father did the majority of his drinking away from home. Children of alcoholics are affected by every aspect of living in a dysfunctional family. I can honestly say that my mother's anger, sadness, instability, and lack of honesty-with me was much, much more damaging that my father's drunkeness. I have memories of being "in the way" and a burden as early as the age of three.

Please don't fool yourself into thinking that your daughter is fine as long as she doesn't see him drunk.

L