View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

how to reply to this?!?!?

My best friend (not my sister, not any family member but a friend) just called me and left me a voicemail (since I am at work and couldn't grab my cell).

The message is this: AH has been contacting me for about two weeks and is planning something for you for June 23 (my 40th birthday was last month and he actually told me "I'd like to do something for you" to which I said "no". Thought that was the end of it). She left me the voicemail sounding a bit desperate saying that she's been trying to let him down easy and telling him I wouldn't want him to do that but he appears to not be listening and she thinks he is contacting my friends and family and trying to have them show up.

I know how smooth he is and I have NO doubt that he could probably convince people that he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart and that he will get people to show up and then he himself will feel it's okay to stay.

I am panicking right now. I forsee this blowing up and have no idea how to diffuse it. I do not want anyone showing up for some party at my house on the 23rd and I certainly don't want to be in a position where I have to put on an act and act like it's great. I also don't want a scene in front of family and friends and if AH feels his "efforts" aren't appreciated, I have NO doubt that he will try to hurt me and cause damage to friendships (he's done this too many times to count-- convenient way to keep me alone-- create a scene when my friends are around and poof- vanishing friends).

I have thought up the following solutions:

1) Call AH and tell him to cancel whatever he's up to. Probably a bad idea bc this plan requires him to care about my preference and act on it.

2) Call people he might have called and tell them not to come. Then I look like an a$$ but at least I am sure to not have people show up

3) Wait and see what happens

4) Tell best friend (who is sort of a frenemy lately and I don't trust her entirely but that's another matter altogether) to deal with AH and find out who he's invited and ask her to give me that info.

Any thoughts?

It's just unreal.