Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Something "so permanent" is not "needed". It's exactly what I WANT.

Originally Posted by Aussiebutterfly View Post
GerandTwine, I'm sure your beast will love this but I am wondering if there really is any need for you to make a Big Plan for sugar when you have done just fine in the last year. Of course if you find yourself totally out of control again then yes you should do it.

No need doing something so permanent if it's not needed is it?
In my mind, this question brings up the very essence of not only AVRT, but also an important perspective on why and how humanity has created and human beings function in advanced societies. We have all learned from infancy to inhibit many, many tendencies we are capable of recognizing desires to act upon. Regarding actions towards satisfying desire, we have become habituated to saying no (not now, rarely, hardly ever, maybe not at all) instead of never because reality is complex, it's hard to predict the future, and desire leads to pleasure. Not to mention the influences all around us in our gigantic consumer society marketplace.

But we have also learned perfectly well how to permanently inhibit ourselves regarding actions towards preventing obvious harm to ourselves and our loved ones. This involves literally thousands of "I will never..."s such as the never swallow Drano example I gave in an earlier post.

AVRT is the method that makes the never regarding desire just as easy as the never regarding harm, because AVRT splits desire and harm in the simplest biological and moral way possible to allow the self-directed ending of an unwanted habit. (so much for the enhanced review)

MORAL, there it is. To finally answer the question. I have learned a lot about the sugar in our foods and what used to be my diet, and the more I learned, it wasn't hard to make it a moral problem for me.

"...so permanent.." you say. SO, SOOOOO permanent. I've become unafraid of permanent. Having known AVRT for decades, I LOVE permanent, and I exercise it carefully. And "not needed"? I don't need it - I WANT it.

Yes, I "have done just fine in the last" five months, but I know my Big Plan for sweets could and will now vastly streamline my gastronomical life with hardly any real change. So, what's the difference between, say, ten pounds of sugar over a year, and zero sugar a year? Virtually nothing.

This has nothing to do with being "out of control", but, over the last five months I've wondered about

-how much honey or maple syrup should I really eat.
-whether or not I will ever again eat those carefully heated french donuts from Dunkin Donuts that melted into greasy sugar-butter-dough in my mouth.
-when I'm offered deserts, whether I should join in to try to influence something or other.
-when I'll hit the half way mark on July 1, what will that be like?
-whether I should go straight into a Big Plan next year or pig out for a week or two.
-maybe dropping the Big Plan idea and doing the moderation thing you've recommended.
-and on and on and on and on

Why not end it once and for all? So, I did.
And I REALLY FEEL IT. The future really looks so much easier now. And I'm hungry, and it's NOT for sweets. YAYYYY! Off to a late dinner.