Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Dalek

Without a Big Plan, there is no AVRT.

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
My point is this. AV recognition has no practical use to me without a Big Plan.

As I remain almost sugar free so far this year, I've recognized and objectified my sugar Beast and it's AV, but all that doesn't have any real effect on whether or not I will eat sugar because I don't have a Big Plan.
I agree. Without the Big Plan as an anchor, the AVRT tools won't do much good, and it all becomes a tentative, indecisive, "maybe I will, and maybe I won't" kind of thing. You can keep it up for a while, even a long while, but since you are still choosing whether or not to indulge one-Beast-attack-at-a-time, that is very shaky ground, not much different from the usual. You may as well take the ODAAT approach instead.

I suspect that you may disagree with me here, but since the Addictive Voice can also be adequately defined as simply any thinking, imagery, or feeling that contradicts your Big Plan, I'm not convinced that without a Big Plan, someone can even recognize the AV properly. Perhaps I make too much of the need for separation, but they are liable to miss some things, and to attribute the AV to themselves, instead of to their Beast.

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey
Recovery is accomplished through a personal commitment to permanent abstinence called, the Big Plan, backed up by the learned ability to catch yourself in the process of changing your mind. The ability to recognize the AV must be learned because, while in addiction, the AV appears to be you. Only in the context of your Big Plan, may the AV stand out for recognition.