Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Dalek

Shift in AVRT focus?

For those of you who have read The Art of AVRT, have you noticed that in addition to the much heavier emphasis on the moral axis of AVRT than was present in The New Cure, Trimpey also seems to shift the focus away from the Structural Model of addiction, towards the "stream of consciousness," or self-identity in operational consciousness framework based on the work of Julian Jaynes?

In The New Cure, there is a heavy emphasis on the Structural Model, but it seems to be missing entirely from The Art of AVRT. I didn't see any pictures of the brain in the book, and in Chapter 11 (pg 121), the author refers to "another version of AVRT," which is basically most of the AVRT crash course. Conspicuously missing, though, even in that chapter, is the Structural Model of addiction.

Instead of "I am not a beast brain, I am a neocortex," as in the AVRT crash course and TNC, the I/It split becomes "I am not my body, or any part of my body."

Originally Posted by The Art of AVRT, Pg 45
You are not your body. You are not any part of your body. You are not a foot, a knee, a toe, a brain, nor a hand. You a conscious, self-identity — a human being — which resides in the body of an animal called homo sapiens. "Human" is not a species, and means, "not animal."

Copyright © 2010 by Jack Trimpey