Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
I'll repeat from p. 40 "You cannot fail to recognize your AV because there is nothing more conspicuous to a formerly addicted person than ideas of indulging once again."
The AV is indeed conspicuous, and pretty difficult to miss, especially in the context of a Big Plan. This is why I don't particularly mind the fact that I must recognize the Addictive Voice in order to abstain. I trust that in the context of a Big Plan, that I will be perfectly capable of recognizing the AV when it appears. The beauty of AVRT, at least in my experience, is that once the AVRT seed takes root in your thinking, you begin to notice the AV earlier and earlier in the chain.

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
As I see it, you DID recognize your AV all the way through the event, and decided what the heck, since I don't have a Big Plan this is as good a time as any for smoking, so I'm going to go along with IT.
I don't deny that I chose to smoke, but the part that I underlined in your text is the part of the AV stream that I chose not to objectify. It is a very subtle point, which is why we are going back and forth, but I believe that Trimpey chose his words carefully. If you look closely, you'll notice that he uses the expression "objectively recognize," which means recognize and objectify. As long as the AV remains out there, objectified as the voice of the Beast, the AV can't have any effect.