Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by RR: TNC p. 84
.... you will be tested, and you will either pass or fail. The test will be in the form of real life experience when your Addictive Voice acts up. If you recognize it, you will pass, and if you fail to recognize it, you will drink or use.
Originally Posted by RR: TNC p.40
With your Big Plan, Addiction Diction, Shifting, and knowledge of the Structural Model, you are secure. You cannot fail to recognize your AV because there is nothing more conspicuous to a formerly addicted person than ideas of indulging once again.
The two above 1996 quotes which together maintain Big Plan invulnerability, combined with a 2010 quote from The Art of AVRT which Dalek used in post #320 which I copy below, indicate what I believe has been a small semantic change in AVRT over the last 15 years or so. (highlight added)

Originally Posted by The Art of AVRT p. 79
Anything you objectively recognize is logically not you, because you are the observer and not the observed. As long as the Beast remains an "it," you are safe from it. However, if it gains possession of the pronoun "I," then you are free to drink/use, and very likely will. (Get it? Free will!)
It is a subtle, yet very critical, adjustment in terminology. By including the qualifier "very likely", I believe Trimpey is acknowledging that it might be a little confusing to absolutely require recognition of the AV to succeed at a Big Plan. This also disconnects the AVRT idea "you cannot fail to recognize your AV" before using from the more general obvious fact that "you cannot fail to think of using" before using.