View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Let's talk about abundance...

It seems there is a lot of “scarcity mentality” going around lately. Scarcity causes fear, and fear causes many unhealthy behaviors. For example, staying in an abusive relationship for fear of being alone, or staying in an unhappy marriage because nobody will want to be with me, or maybe your alcoholic isn’t that bad (yet), so you stay because it could be worse.

One of the concepts I’ve learned to embrace through recovery is the concept of abundance. It’s all about how you perceive things. If you think something is scarce, you become needy and desperate for it. If it is abundant, you can appreciate it without the fear and desperation. So many threads about “I’ll never find somebody else,” or “no one else will ever want me.” It just makes me sad. The truth is, men are abundant (so are women, in case you are a man ). There are seven billion people on this planet. You really believe the one alcoholic you are attached to is the only one who will EVER want to be with you? Really?

I don’t know most of you personally, but I really believe that every one of you is a nice, worthy, beautiful, lovable person. Why wouldn’t you give yourself as much credit as a complete stranger on the internet?

By believing life, joy, love, and even wealth are abundant, I no longer live in fear. I know that no matter what unexpected circumstances life tosses my way, I will be fine. What a grand adventure being alive is, when you don’t live in fear of the future! Right now, I’m considering taking an early retirement offer and changing my lifestyle completely to live on approximately 1/3 of the income I am currently accustomed to. The old me would have been too afraid to do it. The new me sees an opportunity for a whole new life that doesn’t revolve around 40 hours a week in a cubicle. I will have to sell my house and downsize everything, but my time will be my own. Let the next chapter in my story begin……..

L