View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

Just curious, "I deserve the recognition of a 1 year anniversary." Since no one certifies your sobriety why not go for a 5 year anniversary. Neither one will be accurate and quite frankly very few people outside ourselves really place much value on them when all is said and done.

If you want to elevate yourself in other people's eyes then throw in a Nobel Prize and a Silver Star in military action. When we are willing to ignore the truth to ourselves there is no misrepresentation too big.

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
~Shakespeare

It was true in his time and it is still true. You need to do what makes you happy. Whether others have lied is really of no consequence, others tell the truth about their sobriety dates and I know of some who lie. Their actions have not given or taken away from the benefits that I have derived and continue to derive from my time sober.

Sobriety is its own reward, counting the days sober is simply a count of NOT DOING SOMETHING! Not really what most people without our problem of alcoholism consider a cause for celebration. I know about the integrity of the guy I shave every morning, I leave everyone else to their own honesty.

Hope you find an answer to your question that will make you happy, because that is mostly what we are looking for in sobriety.

Jon