Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pathway

Once an addicted always an addict?

It is very complicated but I look at it this way. It might help you understand it a little better. Dome say its a disease and it will never go away. You question is very good but when you said, 'addict and most likely use again some time or another.' That is where it will get confusing. Try not to confuse a lapse and a relapse. it will make more sense in a minute. So yes, once an addict always an addict but that does not mean you are an active addict. Just because you have the addictive genes (2 of them last research I read), does not mean you have to use and be labled an active addict. I also believe it can be labeled as a disease simply for the fact that the thoughts or obessesion to use will never go away (they only decrease and loose power). So once an addict always addicted but it does not mean that ever addict will fail. Some may lapse meaning they have length in their sobriety but they decide to drink and get drunk but then go another length of time sober. Where a relapse is where someone has a length of sobriety and they use but they fall back into the same behaviors they displayed while deep in there addiction. So, you see it is very complicated and dynamic but it ultimately lies in yours and Gods hand on what happens to an addict once they are sober. Hope that help!