View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OhBoy

So sorry you have to deal with this. It was hard for me too. I was about 15 when my father sobered up for good. I remember feeling like I couldn't trust him. It was very difficult, and yes, VERY exhausting! It is great that you are able to share. this is a great place for support. Alateen & Alanon would be something to consider. Alanon has helped me more than I can put into words.

Your father very well may drink again. My pops used to say there are no guarantees. He had 25 years sobriety before he died & still took it day by day. It took a long time for me to have faith in his sobriety. The three C's are one of the best tools for dealing with this. You didn't CAUSE it. You can't CURE it and you can't CONTROL it.

Forgiveness is a tough thing, but the forgiveness is for you, not for him. It is so YOU can move forward in your life. I read somewhere on here that anger is like holding a hot coal in your hand waiting to throw it at someone. Forgiveness is to drop the coal & stop burning your hand. Don't do it to release HIM from hurt he caused you, do it to release YOURSELF!

Keep reading, keep posting. It has helped me a lot. There is a lot of experience & wisdom here. You are not alone. I was where you are as well as others. Take care of yourself.
OhBoy