Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
babycakes77

Originally Posted by Itshard2012 View Post
My Dad has been on Oxycontin for about 4 years now. He has been taking 6 80mg. tabs daily along with 15 4mg. dilladid(sp). About a week ago he ran out of his meds(which is nothing new,usually runs out a day early, or has 1-2 pills to get him through till his appointment) 4 days early and ended up in the ER after nearly 3 full days of withdrawal at home. My Dad has issues from 2 failed back surgeries 6 years ago he is addicted to pain meds and it has been a nightmare for my family and I. I cannot understand why any doctor would prescribe such massive amounts of pain meds to an addict. When he ran out the ER called the pain dr. and told him how wrong he was for doing this upon this the pain dr stopped all the meds and put him on 2 different pain patches(fentanyl) and something else and 84 dillaudid for 2 wks. Now during withdrawals my father said some of the most horribly mean things to my mother, my sister, me and anything else in his line of vision. He repeatedly told us how this was all our faults and alls he wants to do is die so on and so forth. I heard the words he was saying but I knew it wasnt him it was the withdrawal, not that that makes it ok just fact. A few days after his visit to the ER he was extremely apologetic and remourseful. This is my dad I cannot walk away from him. As for your situation with your fiance I think you have to accept the fact that this will be a lifelong battle the temptations and urges will always be there somewhere. If you believe in your fiance and he believes in himself enough to commit to treatment and support try it. But remember also that he does not have the right to degrade you he is angry, frustrated and disgusted with himself, not you. I always tell my dad to look in the mirror and bitch because he did it to himself. I also take his car keys and leave him be until he is coherant enough to speak to me in decent matter. After 3-7 days(in my experience) the worst of it is over and there is no excuse for harsh words from the withdrawal after that. I dont know if all this makes sense the past week or so has been extremely crazy for me. My dad is still in a terrible place but getting better each day with many ups and downs just hoping he can get some sleep soon. I really believe in counseling and support groups because well at least my Dad and many other sites and blogs I've read the addicts going through withdrawal really do feel alone helpless angy lost and just down right depressed. I would love for this pain dr. to have some sort of consequence for prescribing such ridiclous amounts of meds because if he did this to my dad I am sure that their are many more addicts that go to him to feed their addictions and it is wrong. While my Dad has to own this adiction and work hard to fix it if the dr did his job he would have seen the signs and done something about it. Good Luck to you and best wishes to your fiance
my husband also has failed back surgery and is an addict .he take 4 number 10 percs a day.and 3 morphine sulphate pills.i hold the pills for him.but he begs to take 2 percs at a time saying it knocks the pain down.i think he'll be on these for lfe.it makes me so sad.