Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
harry101

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
My previous 'no smoking' plan is obviously null and void by default, at least as an AVRT-style Big Plan. Since I had more pressing matters to consider (my job) when I made this Big Plan, though, and didn't put much thought into it beyond that, I'm just churning some thoughts over in my head. I'm aware that this may be an unnecessary, AV-laden academic exercise.

So, I take it you're still smoking.

As an ex-smoker I know that now never seems like a good time to quit; there's always something happening or about to happen that makes it the "wrong" time to stop.

You seem very well versed in AVRT but can't, at the moment, commit to a Big Plan because the perceived benefits of smoking outweigh the disadvantages. Maybe you could reverse the balance and build up the necessary motivation by reading some good books on quitting smoking. Something in them might resonate with you and allow you to make a Big Plan you believe in.

Have you read Allen Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking"?
He also has a longer and more comprehensive one called "The Only Way To Stop Smoking Permanently".

There's one by Gillian Riley called "How To Stop Smoking And Stay Stopped For Good" which has good reviews on amazon.co.uk
I haven't read this book but it seems to have similarities to AVRT.