Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by harry101 View Post
I don't think it's absolutely necessary to regard drinking/using as morally wrong in order to use AVRT to quit, although it is a very strong motivating factor if you do happen to find it morally wrong.
No, it isn't strictly necessary, and you could certainly quit for entirely unwholesome reasons. For example, if the wife paid you a lump sum to quit for good, you could certainly base your Big Plan on that alone. It does, however, make AV recognition so much easier, at least for me. Is wanting AV recognition to be easy itself AV? Probably.

I quit drinking for increased health and happiness and to be free of dependence on the drug.
People sometimes equate morality with religion, but people make moral decisions all the time regardless, based entirely on their own values. What you have done is simply decided that active addiction, and the lifestyle it entails, does not fit your idea of good, decent living. The decision that such a lifestyle is not appropriate for you is, in effect, a moral decision.

(BTW, Wouldn't it be unnecessary to use the moral arguments as motivators after a Big Plan has been made? If the option to drink/use has been removed no motivators are required.)
I was wondering if anyone would ask that. Good catch.

You are absolutely correct, though. Once the Big Plan has been made, it can replace all other reasons for abstaining. Trying to motivate yourself or build up confidence after the Big Plan is in effect implies self-doubt, or that the Big Plan isn't for real, which is addictive voice.

My previous 'no smoking' plan is obviously null and void by default, at least as an AVRT-style Big Plan. Since I had more pressing matters to consider (my job) when I made this Big Plan, though, and didn't put much thought into it beyond that, I'm just churning some thoughts over in my head. I'm aware that this may be an unnecessary, AV-laden academic exercise.

I'm impressed by the responses so far, though. Some solid AVRT in this thread!