Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Identify and apply all motivations towards self-directed recovery.

Originally Posted by harry101 View Post
I don't think it's absolutely necessary to regard drinking/using as morally wrong in order to use AVRT to quit, although it is a very strong motivating factor if you do happen to find it morally wrong.
Correct.

I quit drinking for increased health and happiness and to be free of dependence on the drug.

Luckily, my drinking didn't have any negative effects on others, so I never regarded it as morally wrong.
By saying "Luckily,..." it seems you do have a morality regarding drinking and that more drinking might have ventured into the harming others territory. It is common for a serious health scare to cause a person to finally end an addiction, but moral reasons can certainly also play a major role. That's what happened with me quitting smoking.

For various reasons, some religious doctrines include maintaining personal health within the scope of their moral codes. With AVRT, it makes sense to identify and apply all motivations towards self-directed recovery.

(BTW, Wouldn't it be unnecessary to use the moral arguments as motivators after a Big Plan has been made? If the option to drink/use has been removed no motivators are required.)
Correct. After the Big Plan is instituted, the motivators take a back seat, and some (or even all, I suppose) can eventually be jettisoned. If I were to experience a catastrophic change in my moral belief system, I still knew what the Big Plan meant when I made it, and I still would NOT be able to drink again. That's really what makes an AVRT-type recovery so easy so quickly.