View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
stairs
...not falling down them

I made a big list of resentments about my sponsor then nicely fired her. Then a few things happened that changed my thinking and I asked her to be my sponsor again.

And made another list of resentments about her!!

At this point, as hard as it may be for me to admit, I am pretty sure that my resentments have more to do with me than with her. The truth is that I do this with all of my relationships. Nitpick and fault find.

She told me not to read a spiritual book that I asked if she had read, and I did not question her, which was my mistake, instead I went off and started writing resentment lists. I am learning to be honest with her on the spot instead of laughing things off or agreeing- then going off and writing resentment lists!!

Does this make sense?

As she said when I told her that I cannot stand being told what to do, "they're only suggestions, d*mmit!".

She made the suggestion about the book because she didn't want me getting "all metaphysical" and not working the steps, which are simple.
When I gave it time and thought about it I could see her point.
Though I still read the book. I started listening to speaker tapes. Turns out she actually met "Joe and Charlie".
And she is more in tune with me, has stopped telling me I'm not ready for this that or the other thing. She thinks I am ready. I no longer perceive her as being this big egotist who just wants to control me.

It's a negotiation, not an absolute set of rules that must be followed the same way each time.

Now I'm starting on my 4th step and will do my 5th with her in spite of myself.

This is just my own experience, though.

You may very well need to get a new sponsor.