Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
changeschoices

If you can make a plan to get out of your marriage, really make that plan, and can start to envision it as the best thing, you will be able to do it.

Your plan of life as a single parent may look nothing like the life you have now, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fantastic life.

In life, there are always trade-offs. I made my AX leave because I did not want my children growing up in an alcoholic home. Even though he never drank around them and they had no idea he was an alcoholic, it was not what I wanted for my kids. I think they picked up on the underlying tension in me because of what I was going through with the A. I am a strong person and I told no one about the problems and shielded my kids from any knowledge about it. But I was expending emotional energy to keep the A on course and that energy could've been spent on my kids, friends, family, my career, my health--in short, all of the places it really should've been going.

Things are so much better for me now.

I understand how nice homeschooling can be, I have several friends who do it. But who knows? Maybe there is a great school situation out there that your son would thrive in. I have friends with children with special needs who have are thriving in school and love their school life. And school for your son would give you a block of time to work part time, which can also be wonderful to keep you busy, make work friends, and feel confident earning money and taking control of your financial destiny.

I would rather live in a tiny apartment with my kids than subject them to living an alcoholic home. The good news is, now that I'm free of the A, I am starting a new job next week and looking for more work on the side, so I know I'll be okay financially. My freed up mental energy can now go to improving my life.