View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm afraid I have to push back regarding the views that this "couldn't happen" at an AA retreat.

In my area, there was, for years, a large group that was headed up by a married couple. It was a Monday night meeting with several different meeting styles and a couple hundred people used to go.

Each fall, this couple would organize a "step retreat" at a nearby resort. Attendees paid a fee and the weekend consisted of various meetings and workshops.

Sounds ok...except for a couple of things, which I didn't know until I went on the retreat myself. Otherwise, I would not have believed it: there was so much hooking up between the men and women that I felt like I was at a swinger's convention. Lots of oldtimer men pursuing the younger women; the worst offender being the husband of this couple. I found out later, too, that the thing was a money-making venture for the couple. The fee everyone paid was higher than the actual cost of the retreat, and they pocketed the difference.

Now, I'm not going to say this was a normal or typical AA retreat. I went on many other retreats during my AA tenure that were absolutely fine, and in fact I ran a few myself. But to say that untoward things can't happen at an AA retreat? Of course they can.