View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nbunderstanding

Appalled by AA retreat activity

My estranged husband has managed to stay sober since 7/2010, which I am very proud to say. He is very involved in AA and goes to at least one meeting a day but usually more or other AA activities.

He has been going to retreats with his AA home group. Although he has kept sober he has continued to addictively gamble. He has lied, borrowed money under false pretenses and shut almost everyone out of his life except for AA people. He has discussed his issue with his sponsor several times. At the last retreat, gambling for cash was an activity. My husband told me on accident as he thought I was asking him about this but I was actually asking about something else, I guess guilty conscious. He told me it was not an issue because he was made to be the dealer. I am completely sickened by this. Gambling is an addictive behavior and many times goes hand in hand with drinking. What kind of activitiy is this to have at a AA retreat?

I am wondering what the opinion of others is on this subject, maybe others that are involved in AA. In my eyes, gambling at an AA retreat is no different than taking drugs at an AA retreat and saying this isn't an NA retreat.

Thoughts?