Thread: money matters
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoloMio

I have finally gotten in control of my money after living with a very financially irresponsible AH. I went along for the ride for decades, and then when I was 46 I ventured out to get what I thought was a job WAY over my head. Wound up getting it and also wound up getting promotions almost yearly, quadrupling my salary in 4 years.

The point is--you don't have to accept a place at the bottom of the barrel with a person ill-equipped to provide you with financial support.

Some of the books/resources that have been extremely helpful are:
  • Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover: The BEST--but I unfortunately do not have the marital unity that he stresses is critical in achieving Financial Peace. However, I feel good about where I am--was able to obliterate over 100k in debt in 2 years. I love DR because he suffers no fools and he'll come right out in his radio shows and call it as he sees it--which is so refreshing for someone like me who tends to justify and make excuses for people who don't pull their weight (like you-know-who). Great guy for codependents in other words.
  • All Your Worth: Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi
  • Your Money or Your Life: A classic
  • I also like old New Thought books: Books like Catherine Ponder "The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity." Kind of cheesy and outdated, but very uplifiting emotionally and spiritually--empowers you to put yourself mentally in a place that is just going to ensure you are prosperous.

So, it's really tough, but you can take your finances into your own hands.