View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Maintaining serenity

One of the things I'm really focusing on in my recovery is in trying to not take things personally and keeping control of my emotions, but also maintaining my serenity and sanity at the same time.

I got the perfect chance today. My AH, son, and I were sitting outside a grocery store waiting to get burgers from the outdoor grill area. I was telling a story about a baby bird and I get excited about animal stories. My AH says, "I can hear you, I'm sitting right here." And, before I could say anything in response he says, "People are looking at you, you're getting really loud."

Ugh, well that just about got my tears rolling. You'd think I was a child being reprimanded. He could have stopped at his first comment or something but he just had to make it seem like I was embarrassing him. I held it together, didn't cry(thank goodness), and got my act together. Seems like it should be easy to most people, but for me it's not because I take everything too personal. Granted, I still think he was out of line and could have taken a different approach but I chose to not let it ruin my day and that's what matters.

Now, if I can just figure out how to say something in response that sets a boundary, I'll be on my way!