View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chick3456

Not sure where to start

I have been drinking pretty much daily for about 6 years. At times it was only a beer, maybe two a day, and there were periods of sobriety without really trying. However, in the past year or so, I feel as if my drinking has gotten out of hand. I want to quit, but am worried about withdrawal symptoms. I realize that medical advice cannot be given out, but was wondering what others' stories were like. On average, I drink one big bottle of white wine a day. Every couple of weeks there will be an event with friends that leads to binge drinking vodka. I haven't had a drink in 13+ hours and have felt rarely any symptoms, but some tummy troubles. I know the road to total sobriety will be tough, especially emotionally, but do I need to continue to worry about physical symptoms if I have basically none at this point? I also wondered if it has been better for some to taper off in their personal experience. I have quit for a week at a time as recently as a few months ago, but have found that the habit creeped back up and into my daily routine.
Thanks for any advice regarding your personal journey. I realize the whole ER and AA thing, would just like to get some personal advice regarding how detoxing worked for you without a doctor and if I am fooling myself thinking that perhaps I'm getting lucky regarding withdrawal symptoms.