Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sissy07

Well, being an alcoholic myself who celebrated the end of the workweek by getting smashed on Friday night, which continued through Saturday and sometimes Sunday (if I wasn't too hungover to drink), I lament the lost weekends/time that I missed - time that could be well spent, having fun, running errands, doing interesting fun things etc. Feeling like I was going to throw up all weekend is not my idea of fun. Then came Monday, and I always felt like I looked like hell. Not to mention the weight gain - never gained much, but zero nutrition.

Don't be me. What happened towards the end of my addiction, I managed to drink too much on some days during the week. Less production and lookiing like I was sick was par for the course.

You know, alcoholism is progressive. I thought I would stick with Fri/Sat., but it ended up being a habit of several evenings. Lack of vitality, lack of self-esteem, low production at work, and the depression brought on to what I was doing to myself was hard to live with. Yes, I thought about ending it all....what I was going through a what I felt about myself made living very difficult. I wanted the old me back. Drinking was no longer fun, and really played a number on my health and well-being. I was sick most of the time. Not my idea of a good life.
I finally gave it up, but not without a battle!!!! I got sober 8/10/11, and joined SR 8/13/11. Besides a few members of my family, no one even knew I was a alcoholic....I was living a very fake life. They still don't know I relapsed for 4 years. Now I am sober 10 months, and life is not a bed of roses, but I respect myself again, I didn't lose my job (I almost did, there at the end of my drinking), and I am getting it together personally, financially, etc. That takes awhile but I am getting there.

This can happen to you too. Find other things to do on Saturdays. AA meeting maybe? New hobby? New friends? There is a multitude of things that you can do that is time well spent....and your self-respect will propel you to do even more. Make the decision that will change your life - stop drinking. I wish you the very best.