View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

I've never been required to go to meetings, but if I were, and if I were desperate for a new life, I'd go and I'd listen. Easy for me to say, I know ... I go to AA and that is totally voluntary on my part. I don't know if you're the praying type, Action, but if you are, I'd recommend that you ask God to show you what you need to hear in those meetings. Even the "13 year old girls" have something valuable to share if you're willing to listen. Just my point of view, of course.

Incidentally, my regular AA meetings have been somewhat challenged lately by a new guy (he's not new to sobriety, but new to our noon meetings) who COMPLETELY rubs me the wrong way. He laughs at his own shares, laughs at others' shares (even when it's completely inappropriate), and is often really disruptive. Yet ... when I put my annoyances aside and really allow myself to listen to this guy, he tends to share some VERY real stuff. Puts me in my place, for sure. You don't have to like the person ... but every person has something valuable to share. Interesting how it all works.