View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
djayr
Lord Have Mercy

Relapse is just the worst. Especially after they finally get completely healthy after whatever detox hell is required to get there.

What has driven me personally insane, is that my AW has never relapsed for just a day or two. There is that moment after the first slip, that little window, where she COULD stop because she is not yet physically addicted. That is when my very best begging and pleading, and maybe even threatening takes place. And it has never worked. I am zero-for-six on these little interventions, every single time the first gulp of vodka has been the beginning of a months or years long descent into mayhem.

This is the part that really drives me nuts. AW, do you want to get sick again? Do you want to get more OWI's? Do you want to ruin all of your relationships? After the first drink, the answer (over the course of 10 years now) has ALWAYS been yes.

I don't know if I can forgive her for this, because in my opinion, after one day of drinking following a long period of sobriety, I believe she COULD stop, but chooses not to, and that makes me mad.

I am sorry that this happened, I truly hope your AH recovers sooner rather than later.