View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mattmathews

Originally Posted by Windmills View Post
Once I saw this I couldn't even read the rest of your post. This is one of the most insane things I've seen in a while. Those kids can't get themselves out of the situation, they can't do anything.
Windmills comment on my post really stung. Really. That's OK.

This is just an opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

I really believe in the statement that we must "keep the focus on ourselves." We do that because that's all we really have control over. We can focus on the alcoholic or we can focus on our kids...but where has that gotten us? In my case, it left me depressed, in debt, angry, irrational. My life became completely unmanageable. It wasn't until I started working on my own recovery that things began to improve.
For me, the process of recovery has been an amazing journey and I literally feel like I've gotten a second chance a life. I changed, and everything changed.
I guess I'm pretty passionate about my belief that recovery is available to everyone.
Should we protect our kids? Absolutely. Like a mother lion. But finding the best way to do that may not be easy or obvious. Maybe all I've learned is that we don't have to do it alone.