Thread: Decisions ....
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NikNox

You're right, and the teenage years are hard enough! She's having weekly counselling at school, but I'm not sure about the things the counsellor is telling her to be honest. My SD pours her heart out to her, and tells her she's furious with her mum, but the counsellor keeps telling her she must make allowances for her mum because she's ill and doesn't know what she's doing. I get that, to a certain extent, and so does SD, but when SD told the counsellor she was thinking of not seeing her mum or speaking to her for a while, she advised against it, and when SD told the counsellor she was going to write her mum a letter telling her how she feels, she advised she writes it but doesn't send it because her mum is ill and it will upset her. Not quite sure of the 'value' of this counselling, because to us she has every right to be angry and upset with her mum, because mum keeps on letting her down and breaking promises, so if she wants to write and give mum the lowdown on how she feels then she should do so. Okay, it might upset mum, but what about SD's feelings? And, even though we all know it won't actually make any difference because mum is an alcoholic and won't recognise her actions or do anything to change them, she should know how her daughter is feeling.

My husband thinks we should speak to the counsellor about her counselling methods?