View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mattmathews

You've been living with an active addict for 7 years, I lived with an active alcoholic for 15 years. I think I can relate.
Everybody drinks (or so I used to think before I realized that not everybody lives like we did), so alcoholism kind of creeps up on you. On day your life is fine, then next day things are a little off...and then one day you wake up and 5, or 10, or 15 years have passed and you''re living in misery, you're up to your neck in debt, your children are afraid to leave their kids at your house (and you can't blame them), your friends sympathize, but they don't understand, you're isolated and have no one to talk to...you get the idea.
You've heard of hitting rock bottom? Well, there is no bottom. The hole just gets deeper. Maybe he dies from his disease (it happens to alcoholics and addicts every single day). Maybe he goes to jail. Maybe you go to jail. Maybe he hurts you. Maybe he hurts your child. All things are possible. Maybe not today, but addiction is progressive...it only gets worse
You've hit a bottom right now. Not rock bottom, but a bottom, and you have a choice. You have a choice. Reach out for help, (and trust me, people are waiting to help you), or stay in the hole. I think Al-anon is a great idea, it changed my life. It won't fix your immediate problems, it won't tell you how to fix him, but it will work for you if you want it to.
When I started the journey, I knew I had problems with the alcoholic in my life. But I though I was OK, I though I was "dealing." You know? But even 6 months later, I could look back at the way my life was...and it was insane. It was crazy. I was crazy.
So you have a choice. (We always have choices, but most of the time we're so focused on the door that is closed that we fail to see the open doors all around us). Reach out. We're waiting to grab your hand.