View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
familyneedsyou

Think I'm making things worse

The only days my husband doesn't drink are days that he is sick. He needs to be pretty sick for that to happen. He's not a violent alcoholic and is not ever rude to me, but his drinking has always bugged me. When we started to have kids, I assumed that his drinking would calm down and he would grow up a little. After all, he stopped drinking so that we could try to get pregnant, so he couldn't be an alcoholic, right? Wrong. Now our kids are 6 and 3 and the only time he slows down is after I get after him about it. Once he thinks I've cooled off, he starts right back up again. I tend to not say anything until it really starts to **** me off, then I end up exploding because I'm so angry about it. I don't want to do this!! I love him and want to see him through this, but I don't know how to make him see that it is ruining things. I know that yelling about it surely isn't helping, but I also don't know what to do that will help. Last time I talked about it with him I was uncharacteristically calm and didn't let my emotions control me (nearly impossible for me to do) and his response was something about kicking a dead horse. I'm getting so sick of his constant drinking and I'm not addicted to anything that I can think of, so I don't really know what it's like and how to give him the support that he needs. It just makes me angry that he doesn't stop. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for me to help him get the support he needs. What am I supposed to be doing?