Old 05-03-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by MightyMung View Post

Being fairly pragmatic, I like my theories to be applicable in a practical sense. I think that the first step is almost a self-defeating philosophy in the sense that it encourages a mindset of weakness, as opposed to the desirable and necessary strong mindset needed to overcome alcoholism long-term.
Hi Jake, welcome!

I am pragmatic. I over intellectualized nearly every thing about recovery in early sobriety. Made myself freakin' nuts... None of this made much sense, practical or otherwise, LOL... I mean, really, does this whole alcoholism thing make much sense anyway... Like "Why am I an alcoholic?" We can start there, LOLOLOLOL

Yea, the 12 step program is, in a very fundamental way, self defeating.

Not self defeating in a negative way, far far from it. It does, however, remove you as the center of your own universe. I am not my own higher power. Thank... God...

Yea, I read here, a lot, about this perceived "mindset of weakness"... Whatever... OK, we see that the first step uses the word "powerless" ... over alcohol. That's the last time you hear that word. Interestingly, well, appropriately, it is also the last time you hear the word alcohol... in the 12 steps. I do not have a mindset of weakness.

So... I am powerless over lug nuts... if I get a flat tire, I can not remove the lug nuts myself... However, in the trunk is a wrench, a tool, I can use it to fix my flat tire.

AA is one program that gives you a tool to recover. It is a spiritual tool. AA is a spiritual program.

Check it out, I recommend it... Leave your pragmatism at the door, you can pick it up later, I promise.