View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
loveforhorses

Pock89, I met my boyfriend when he had 9 months clean from IV heroin. He was in a 30 day rehab after jail, then went to a halfway house for 4 months and now is in a sober living environment. There is no staff where he lives now it is all peer run. They have certain requirements that they have to do in order to stay there. He has been there for about 7 1/2 months and has about 22 months clean. He can talk to me anytime he wants, he comes and goes as he pleases except he has to be in by 11 pm I think. He is allowed to spend 3 nights out a week but not in a row, and I can stay overnight there if I want up to 3 nights a week. Some guys in the house have cars some don't, some have cells some don't but it's up to them to get them and pay for them. They all pay rent, have household chores, have to attend a certain number of meetings a week, etc. I think it is really helpful for those who really want to be in recovery and who are willing to do the work. Those that don't end up relapsing and then have to leave the house. I found it hard when he was in a halfway house and I couldn't talk to him when I wanted for as log as I wanted or see he when I wanted for as long as I wanted. However I adjustde to it. Sometimes it is harder now because I am ready for more and want more and thought I would see and talk to him more and I don't always get to due to whatever is going on at the house or whatever. I believe that this has been a good thing for him and has enhanced the tools he has learned and it is a safe environment for him. It's not always easy but it can be done. I am sorry you are going through this. For me I have never known him in active addiction but I do know him as a recovering addict. He has to be willing to do the work and want recovery more then he has ever wanted anything.

Good luck to you and you can contact me if you want to talk