Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dispatches

Originally Posted by Stopdropburn View Post
Wow. that's awesome. I'm impressed you jumped at 8mg....that's a pretty steep dosage. I too was on it for several years, of course I was abusing it....only difference is I didn't actually have a prescription because of insurance and such. I am now at 62 days clean of Suboxone, still get small waves of cravings here and there, sometimes each day...but nothing too bad, nothing that can't be shrugged off. I think it's crazy how you had several good days before your symptoms really seemed to kick in hard....maybe because of the dose you jumped at? As long as you're through it though. Good for you.
Yeah I jumped at 8mgs because I couldn't get myself down to a lower dose, I had no self control, and it was always in my head that if I took less I would feel worse and that kind of thinking meant that I always felt worse. I abused Suboxone to no end, I snorted it and got hooked snorting it a 2-4 times a day. I don't know how I broke that habit but I did. I snorted it a few times a week for a couple years. Eventually towards the end snorting it stopped working too. I did a lot of damage to my septum, and the burn was only bearable because I knew it would make me feel better, if only just.

I went to Detox/Rehab expecting to be extremely ill. After 3-4 days I was waiting for it to hit me. My hands and feet constantly poured sweat during the day and that was very uncomfortable but all things considered it was easy. Day after day passed and nothing serious, I then thought "Well I guess I'm lucky and I won't have a serious W/D". I was discharged after 11 days. Day 12 and 13 were good, I still had the sweats but that was it. I was very active both days. Day 14 came and I woke up with zero energy. The next 10 days were absolute hell. At times I could manage, other times I thought if I feel like this for 1 more minute I am going to go use. Praying to my higher power and going to intensive outpatient was a big part in me getting through it, no matter how bad I felt I always went and it helped so much. If I hadn't had my higher power and my intensive outpatient group I don't know if I would have gotten through it.

It's just a mental battle, I used to look up horror stories about Suboxone and that always consumed my mind when I tried to get off Suboxone. I stopped doing that, I said to myself whatever happens will happen, I have to get through this. I went to Detox with an open mind and I wasn't scared, and I think that was important for me.

I think the fact that I was on Suboxone for 5 years at a high dose led to my very unusual W/D. I've never heard of anyone getting really sick after 2 weeks off of it. Like I said, I still have mild W/D, and I'm sure I will for a long time due to my circumstances. The hardest part is not having any energy, but if I am focused I am not thinking about it.