Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dispatches

Got off of Suboxone after being on it for 5 years

I posted this in another thread but I wanted to make sure I shared this so maybe somebody else doesn't have to be on it as long as I did. You can get off this stuff, and it probably will be easier than you think.

I was on Suboxone for 5+ years. I jumped off cold turkey at 8mg after failing to taper and abusing my prescription. I only had slight W/D after the 3rd day. My hands and feet sweat pretty bad but that was about it. I felt pretty good besides the sweats. It wasn't until day 14 that I got really sick. I had about 10 days of hell. Cold sweats, crawling skin, hot/cold at the same time, extreme fatigue, restless legs, aches, and I was running a temperature.

My Blood Pressure was really high. Thankfully my Doctor called in a prescription of Catapris and it helped a lot. It's a blood pressure medication and I'd recommend people look into it if they are about to get off Opiates. Seroquel and Catapris allowed me to get 2-4 hours a sleep a night. Which made a big difference in my morale. I hardly slept or ate, I hardly moved except to use the bathroom, get water, and go to meetings. The more active you are the easier it is, but crawling out of bed can feel like the hardest thing you'll ever do.

It is totally doable. If I can get off it after being on it for 5 years, you can too. I have been off Suboxone for a month and I feel better everyday, still have very mild W/D, but its very manageable. Honestly I couldn't believe how much easier it was than I thought it would be. Its a mental battle, and its a roller coaster, but it's doable. I prayed to my higher power to give me the strength to get through it, and he did.

If anyone has a question shoot me a PM or post here.