Thread: Need some tips!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KelKel

Hi Ham
I agree with the others that this is your husbands journey, I also believe that
helping to ease the struggle is a practical thing to do for someone you love.
I know that for me, when I got home from rehab there was no alcohol in the house. (at least that my husband knew of...)

For me that was a good thing, I was pretty fragile emotionally. I felt very over-stimulated by our culture... billboards advertising alcohol seemed to be around every corner, the grocery store's alcohol section was the demon itself beckoning me to partake. Heck almost all movies glorify alcohol and its wonderful effects... So it was important for my home to be a haven from the harsh realities of the moment. I still had to go through it and find all the bottles that were hidden throughout and even outside in the bushes.. :scared1:
I need to point out that at the end of that period of drinking, I was at a real bottom. Vanilla extract was not safe being in my cupboards.

The best thing you can do is talk to him about it, let him know that you are there for him and if he would like you to do that.
Everyone handles recovery differently, for me it was the first time in my life that I had ever asked another for help and it was a very humbling experience.
I had times where I would ask my husband to go with me to the grocery because I knew in my heart that I was not strong enough to handle the temptation.
I hope this helped a bit... your husband is a lucky man to have such a loving and supportive mate.