View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AlwaysGrowing

My View...
We are all made differently. Some of us have more chemical challenges than others and it pains me to not have a one stop shop answer and watch others really struggle. There isn't one. I do believe there are ways to 'improve' our way of life, our emotional and physical pain. BUT to figure that out we first need to remove all the outside elements that make us feel better (drugs/drink) ..so docs have a chance not just tossing out a quick fix.
Now that being said there are legit reasons for a few to NOT just stop all drugs as that can be very dangerous. Working with a Doc is the best thing. I see SOO many hid behind the quick fix or using something powerful to kill the baggage we carry. We are often some of the worse to recall from the idea of going clean because of fear. Let me say this again.. Because of fear..
Drugs are to be used to help ease not cause addition or to hide behind walls and not live life.
Just my 2 cents and no, I don't play a doc on TV or anything else. Just call it and (BS) as I see and read it.
Just like I ask my kids. How do you know? Have you tried it? And are you being honest?

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Great topic. This is one of my pet peeves. The idea that alcoholism is the “be all end all” to an alcoholics problems. Perhaps it is the only problem…for them, but claiming to know this about everyone else is dangerous. I speak up about this every time I hear it because this idea is destructive. It frequently comes from people who have been around longer and goes unchallenged. The newcomer is sometimes confused. They might come to AA from a very knowledgeable health care professional (with a diagnosis and a recommendation to go to AA to help with their alcoholism) only to have a vocal AA telling them all they need to worry about is their alcoholism.

That’s why I speak up every time this takes place. I do this as gently and as respectfully as I can, but I do it. It’s a bit more difficult when it happens in a meeting, so sometimes I need to wait till after the meeting to talk to the person(s). Because most people in AA have the motivation to be helpful, and they know I have a desire to do likewise, my opinions are typically considered. I have noticed I have changed a few minds on this issue.

Inaction supports the status quo. This applies as much to the dissemination of misinformation as it does to alcoholism itself.