View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ISOHumility

Update.

Wanted to pass along the story of what happened today.

My family went to church today, as we always do. My sponsor and best friend--whom my son loves--went as well.

My son HATES the singing part of church. Since we've been going to this church, my son has left the room when the singing begins, and returns when they stop--maybe 3 or 4 songs.

Today, as we were singing, my son pushed his way into the aisle and took his seat next to me. He stood for one song, then asked if he could sit for the rest. I nodded. I was so overcome that he'd come in for the singing, that tears trickled down my cheeks.

But that wasn't all.

Today's sermon was about when people we love insist on going down the wrong path, despite all we do to try to help. The way of Christ, the pastor said, is to not to try to change their behavior, but to let them know we are here, and that we love them. The job of changing is theirs, not ours.

More tears.

I could be totally nuts, but I believe that God heard my prayers, knows the concern I feel for the situation I wrote about yesterday. The sermon, and my son's coming in to hear the singing--which has not occurred for a year, and was not prompted by me or anyone--was His way of telling me that everything will be okay, no matter what happens.

I am taking my son to his meeting soon, but the experience today was so powerful that I had to write it down.

It was real. I am not saying my son may not relapse--that is his choice. But my job as a mother is to watch, and wait, and love, and as Ann said, to give him the dignity of choice.

I feel that God is blessing and protecting my son, and that--somehow--he felt that love. And without knowing why, he wanted to hear the singing, because it was God himself calling him to hear it.

Apologies to any atheists who read this--not pushing Christ on anyone, just wanted to tell you about a mysterious and powerful experience.

God truly is love. He loved me, and my son, today is a most powerful and personal way.