View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
tpoint

Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
Hi everyone, this my my first post here and I'm hoping to find some good advice from people with experience dealing with similar issues.

I used to drink pretty regularly but for various reasons have been trying to cut back. So instead of drinking most days I just drink occasionally. The problem is those occasions when I do drink become a disaster. I have a few drinks, lose control and can't stop. The following day I'm hungover, embarassed and ashamed, and from what little bits I can remember just see myself having acted like a complete idiot. On the good days I don't cause any truble but still am still probably remembered as "that guy." On the bad days I get violent, which has caused other problems.

I find myself falling into the same cycle over and over again. I decide I'm gunna clean myself up and avoid alcohol but after a few days, a week or however long I can last I just give up and drink again. Consciously I know there are a lot of reasons to stop, but I just wonder, are those reasons really that important? The shame and embarassment after each binge, all the bridges I've burned, and times I've made a fool of myself alone should be reason enough to stop. But for some reason I just find myself not caring enough to stay sober. I'm recovering from a recent binge and as part of the pattern I try find some way to control myself, which obviously hasn't worked yet. I'm just concerned I'll ultimately end up repeating the cycle. I feel like I don't have a lot to make a lasting positive change worthwhile. I'm trying to find a reason to stop that will sustain me for the long haul.
Hi hardboiled, I can relate to your story. I can go all week without a drink, and then by Thursday/Friday my cravings for alcohol are so great that I surcome to a weekend of alcohol abuse, blackouts, being ill/sick etc. - and then the week starts again with me feeling so ill, ashamed, and promising myself to never drink again, but by the weekend the hell cycle starts again.

This time I am extra determined to stop, but I realised that I need to try new techniques and need outside support, so this week i've attended my first AA meeting which went well. I've also written a list of reasons why not to drink, and I read this every day even though it's a massive list.

I am currently on Day 7 of being sober and the weekend is going great so far - it's fantastic waking up on a Saturday feeling fresh and healthy, and without the need to check my phone to see who i've drunkely text or phoned, or to check the fastfood receipt to see what time I got my drunken ass home.

Stick with it mate, you can beat alcohol, this forum is living proof.