View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Spes

Originally Posted by Lilmssunshine View Post
Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol.

Does this mean that we cant have hope that the other person could change one day?
You know...I just joined SR a few days ago out of desperation and received a lot of support from many, including you.

Then I finished reading "Under the Influence" which helped me a lot.

Then this afternoon, I decided to get into this study group because, while I got the schedule, I haven't gone to a F2F Al-Anon meeting yet.

So the first thread I read is yours that is the same question I would have asked. I realize that I am powerless over alcohol. Alcohol is killing my wonderful wife and I can't do a damn thing about it. Talk about powerless.

I think it was my hope that she would change some day that was causing me so much grief and sadness. Whether she changes because of something I do or say, or she changes because she decided on her own is beyond my power to do anything about. I'm going to re-read and think a lot about this first step.

I admit I am powerless over alcohol but I'm not ready to give up hoping she will change some day. I don't see that as a contradiction yet.....but then, this is the first step and I am committed to the whole journey.