Thread: Disease...
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by TheOnlyDryPaddy View Post
Your views have nothing to do with whether substance dependence is a disease.
That's certainly plausible, but they've been looking for "proof" that addiction is a brain disease for about 60 years now, and they're still looking. After countless billions of dollars, all NIDA has come up with is some pretty brain scan pictures which show that addicted people's brains light up like a Christmas tree when they see a beer.

I sure wouldn't want one of those brain scan machines hooked up to me when I saw a pretty woman walk by. The brain scan pictures would probably look very similar to the pictures when looking at a cold beer, and Nora Volkov might claim that I have a chronic disease which requires expensive, life-long 'treatment', and that I will never recover from it.

Originally Posted by TheOnlyDryPaddy View Post
I'm not sure what my relationship with alcohol is, so I'm not going to "cop to a disease". It's clear to me that I have a general lack of impulse control, and alcohol is by far the most destructive substance I consumed, so I quit consuming it.
You quit drinking, but you're not sure what your relationship with alcohol is?