Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
I'm not as apprehensive as I was about giving in to my addictive voice. Probably because it's not talking to me as much anymore.
What if it did? What then?

In AVRT, the presence or absence of AV is neither good nor bad. Wanting the AV to go away, or believing that not hearing the AV is good, however, suggests that the presence of AV might cause you "give in" to it. That sentiment, since it suggests the possibility that you might drink, is therefore itself the addictive voice. It also implies doubt, and all self-doubt is AV.

You can do much better than not be apprehensive, you can be certain that you won't drink. Remember, addictive desire is not you, but the Beast, so not only do you not drink, but you don't even want to drink. Your Beast, on the other hand, definitely wants to drink, but fortunately for you, it can't.

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
But I've firmly said no I won't ever drink again when it does.
That's a good start, but in time, you may find even that unnecessary. Don't argue, don't debate, and don't struggle -- just recognize it. Always stay in your right mind, in the first person, as in "IT, my Beast, wants to drink, but I never drink, and since I am not IT, I don't even want to drink."

Maintain the separation at all times, and don't let your AV use the operative pronoun, "I". If it does, use addiction diction to transpose the pronouns to "IT". Set your confidence level for lifetime abstinence arbitrarily at 100%, recognize all self-doubt as the addictive voice, and you will be fine.