View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by lucylestrange View Post
Last night I had a lengthy discussion in my own head with my addict... I realized that voice is using excuses, twisting perfectly normal situations into must-drink situations to feed it's addiction.
I realize you are waiting for your RR book to arrive, but the first rule in AVRT is not to have any lengthy "discussions" with the addictive voice. The AV is not an irrational belief, cannot be reasoned with or otherwise disputed away, and will play both sides of all arguments. Regardless of what you say, IT will always land on its feet, so to speak. The more you debate, the more time it has to wear you down.

The Beast loves debates, because debates = white knuckling. You need to pay close attention to your use of pronouns. The AV's favorite pronoun is 'I', because if you think that 'you' want to drink, you are free to drink, and possibly will. If you hear "I" want to drink, change that to "IT wants to drink," and always stay in your right mind, as in "I never drink, and since addictive desire is not me, but the Beast, I don't even want to drink."

See this post for reference: