Thread: Disease...
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by GrowingDaily View Post
So if quitting is all it takes to cure yourself from alcoholism, what accounts for people relapsing months/years/decades later? I guess they just didn't have enough willpower, right?
Addictions tend to be persistent because the human body is designed to forget pain, and to remember pleasure. Think about the last time you hit your thumb with a hammer, for example. You can probably remember that it hurt, but not the actual sensation of pain. On the other hand, it is unlikely that you'll forget what that old buzz once felt like. People who go back to drinking after a long time usually do so because the memory of why they originally quit, once fresh, begins to fade. It is notable that both the 'Big Book' and the Rational Recovery book describe this very common 'forgetting' phenomenon.

Your belief system is out of touch with what we know to be scientific fact today. It's out of touch with virtually every recognized program that claims even a modicum of success. And it's out of touch with the personal experience of the VAST majority of addicts.
Actually, it isn't out of touch. Even the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism is now recognizing that the vast majority of addicted people actually quit along these lines.

Originally Posted by NIAAA
About 75 percent of persons who recover from alcohol dependence do so without seeking any kind of help, including specialty alcohol (rehab) programs and AA. Only 13 percent of people with alcohol dependence ever receive specialty alcohol treatment.

Source: Alcoholism Isn't What it Used to Be

I'm glad your 'program' worked for you (though I have a hard time labeling the phrase 'Quit drinking' as a program). Unfortunately, your method doesn't offer much hope to anyone outside of your frontal lobe. I don't know what you're selling, but I hope people looking for a real solution to their problems doesn't take you seriously.
Admittedly, I didn't exactly figure it out on my own, and I needed some additional reinforcement and education on how to actually quit drinking. The methodology is based on what people who do figure it out on their own usually do, however.