Thread: Disease...
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
GrowingDaily
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
What or whom was responsible?
I'm going to assume you're sober now. I'm also going to assume you weren't at one time.

Are you honestly saying that all you had to do was quit drinking, without addressing any issues in your life? Without any introspection, without learning any new coping skills, without redefining your relationship to alcohol, without learning to view yourself differently, without learning to view the world differently, without filling your life with new activities, without dealing with stress in a different way, etc, etc, etc.

None of that? Nothing? You just said "I quit", and aside from not drinking, nothing else changed in your life? And you don't see any changes necessary in your life for continued, long-term sobriety?

My point - as I should have made CLEARLY by now to anyone who bothered to read what I wrote with an open, unprejudiced mind, is that while motivation and willpower are OBVIOUSLY the driving forces behind anyone's effort to quit, to improve, to evolve.... there are a host of issues - more often than not the issues which drove us to drink in the first place - that likely need to be addressed if one is to achieve long-term sobriety.

That's all I'm saying... that there are nuances regarding addiction that need to be dealt with. It isn't as simple as deciding to switch from butter to margarine. But you're all obviously looking for someone to nail to a cross instead of bothering to try to see where I'm coming from. Which is, in effect, almost exactly where you're coming from. You just choose not to see it that way. I'm terribly sorry you're short on antagonists here in the secular forums.

Bye.