View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
manfriday

where do I begin...

Hi, just found this site and have a need to do something but unsure where to start... Aged 57 and have been a good time drinker since early teens. Pubs were my social life with mates or after work with colleagues followed by home drinking to oblivion...

I've managed to slow the pace to a point where I don't drink during the week but inevitably I drink Friday through to Sunday, evenings only, mostly wine... I'll finish a bottle and crack open another..invariably fall asleep on the sofa.

I have never been able to just have a drink, I always finish a bottle and will always continue if I am capable of downing more.... I have some will power to stop for a couple of weeks but inevitably ther's a dinner party or social thing that lures me to the first glass. I recognise that I have an addiction which may not be as bad as some others on this site but may also be worse than others, I guess we are all different but with the same curse of addiction..

How best to overcome my problem is my question? do I find a local AA meeting as a start? I am certainly not regarded as a drunk and know that I would have support from family and friends but feel scared to begin to say goodbye to my evil life crutch....

Any words of advice appreciated!!