Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lillamy

Bobby,

So good to see you again. And I'm sorry you're all torn up.
You're right. Three months is nothing. My AXH proudly celebrated 100 days of sobriety and a month later, he was drunk as a skunk again.

Of course, that's not everyone's story. Three months is a great achievement for an addict. It is not "cured" however, and it would not be good enough reason for me to start reevaluating the relationship (or lack thereof).

Recovery is a long process. You can whiteknuckle it for three months. Not saying that's what he's doing, but he's ONLY got three months. And no matter how much of an effort that has taken for him, it doesn't wipe out the years of mayhem he caused while you were married.

I don't get this with addicts. I'm still angry about this, I realize: You don't get a pat on the back and an attaboy for behaving like a normal civilized human being. You don't automatically get forgiveness for years of behaving like an ass just because you happen to manage to NOT behave like an ass for a brief period of time.

More will be revealed. If he is recovering, he will continue to recover. Time will tell. Stick to your guns, your boundaries, and what you know, friend.