Thread: Here to learn
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by KaliCali View Post
So who is going to be the first AVRT old-timer?
What is that 5 yrs. or 20 yrs? Am I still indoctrinated?
There is no such thing as an 'old timer' in AVRT. If you are certain that you will never drink/use again, even two weeks in, you are as recovered as someone who has three decades of 'sober time'. I have an almost perfect pitch for AV, and I can recognize it in others with very little effort, but I fully expect that anyone can and will acquire this capability, and that they will not hesitate to expose AV should I miss it. I believe you can become better at it than I am, regardless of 'sober time', and it won't phase me if someone with 'only' two weeks catches something I don't. In fact, that would be awesome!

Originally Posted by KaliCali View Post
Just starting till to slough off some of the AA group think that I voluntarily tried on--some of it good stuck--some of it not so good. About 50% of it I could relate to , and another 50% I thought was kind of dangerous--for me.
AVRT does not discriminate on the source of addictive voice, and once you incorporate it into your thought process, it will shield you from any AV, regardless of its origin. If a sentiment supports the remote possibility that you might drink, ever, AVRT will expose it as AV. It doesn't matter if it comes from your own thinking, old drinking buddies, recovery groups, the television, recovery forums, or even the surgeon general himself. AVRT is a voracious mind-set that devours anything that poses as a condition of lifetime abstinence, and one of its unintended side effects is rapid deprogramming. Learn it, use it, and you will do fine. AVRT tends to build upon itself.