View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
peacefulmind
Paused

Free After 18 Years

After 18 years of living with a functional alcoholic, I finally said enough is enough. I thank God Almighty for giving me the strength to stop this dysfunctional life I have been living. My A was always had a good job, great helping around the house, good with the kids, good to me (not abusive or mean) but his alcoholism drove me crazy. We went from his every day drinking to then just weekends, with me trying to control his every beer. Now I realize how sick I was trying to change him all these years. It hurt that he choose not to give up alcohol for his two beautiful children and great wife, but thats his choice. I know there is lots of women out there that can't imagine a life without their husband who they love, but I want to tell you the peace of mind you will have by yourself without the A is so rewarding, you just have to get to the point to say, "I am responsible for my own happiness and I can find that happiness within myself". Yes it was the hardest thing I ever had to do, and I just take one day at a time. I am finding new friends through Church, and am going to a support recovery group there. (A lot of churches do have these type of programs). I have been reading a lot of the posts on here for the last month and just wanted to share. Barb