Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pock89

Welcome!
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.
I don't see a problem with going away for a couple of days. Your life has to go on...whether your husband is using or not. Life doesn't stop being he starts using, is in recovery, struggling, etc.
When my boyfriend (addicted to heroin, currently living in a sober house doing really well) would start using again, or try to get clean, my world would just stop and my full attention would be focused on him and whatever the situation he was dealing with was at the time. And people would always tell me to focus on ME.
I know that sounds selfish however, you need to allow him to make decisions for himself. Unfortunately the harsh reality of addiction is that if your husband wants to use, he will do so whether you are spending every minute trying to control the situation, or you are away.
You have to keep reminding yourself that it is HIS recovery, HIS journey, HIS decisions to make whether to get high or stay sober.
Someone on this forum (I don't remember their name) says, "Hands off the addict". I try to think of that saying daily. It helps.
Be supportive and loving, but keep in the back of your mind that it is HIS recovery and HIS disease that HE needs to deal with.

Wishing you nothing but the best.
<3