View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sophiamarie2007

I can relate to being in sales and feeling like you always have to be on. I started my addiction to painkillers (and many other types of prescription pills) when I worked in the pharmaceutical industry. I felt like I sold better when I was on vicodin (that was my first addiction) I thought it made me more confident, outgoing, happy,etc. I ended up winning sales awards, when the whole time I was calling on doctors high as a kite. I thought nothing could stop me. That was in 2000-Fast forward to 2012.

I have been out of sales for several years, but my addiction had progressed to vicodin, adderrall, xanax, tramadol, klonopin and ambien. It didn't make me a better sales rep, it made me a mess and it almost killed me. I couldn't work full time because of my addiction, so I worked a couple of days a week as a substitute teacher. I couldn't imagine functioning without my pills. I got completely clean off of everything a little over 5 weeks ago. While clean I went through three sales interviews and just landed a job in medical equipment sales. I never thought I could get another sales job, especially not clean. I associated my selling skills with being high. This was validation for me, that I did have what it takes to be successful without the pills. Don't sell yourself short-you wouldn't be in the field of sales if you weren't good at that profession. Try to look beyond a few days of withdrawl and look at the big picture. I am so glad I suffered through the withdrawl to get clean. It feels good to look in the mirror and know that it is really me, not the pills talking. You can do this! I promise a few days of not feeling "on" is so worth being free of being dependent on pills to function. Keep us posted on how you are doing!!